Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Two days to go!

Wow! I can not believe it is only 2 days until my first 100 mile race! As you know the weather for this weekend looks to be cold and rainy. This will add another element of challenge, especially if it rains through the night. Not only will the trail be soggy, but running through the night can also make the spirit "soggy".
All week I have been gearing up mentally. My taper has felt good and my legs could not feel any better (well maybe a little). Today I set out to run just 2 miles, but couldn't help myself and ended up closer to 3 miles. Lately, anything shorter than 6 -7 miles feels like a walk to the mail box.
Now with the element of rain and pretty chilly weather, I really need to make sure I am mentally fit. Part of being mentally fit is being physically prepared with gear and food. I seem to go through my list of things needed every day and I add to it. One item I had to add to the list was a real rain jacket. Normally I run in the rain with either a running vest or no jacket at all. Since it will be cold, I decided it was time to purchase a rain jacket. So, going through the list now, I know I have everything I will or may need. (Or at least I think I know I do....shhhhhh, don't tell Buddy!)
Last thoughts before.........
Have I trained enough? Hope so, maybe, maybe not, oh well we'll see.
Bottom line is that I have done all that I have done. I don't think I have ever gone into a race feeling like I trained enough or prepared enough and more times than not, everything has worked out fine. Come Saturday morning at 6:01am, all my fears will be gone and I will be doing it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment