Tuesday, August 30, 2011

New Challenge

What crossed my mind as an idea for a new challenge has lead way to a plan for that challenge. On my run in Big Bear this past weekend, I ran a trail that took me to Grays Peak. Upon my arrival, I took a picture of this sign and soon my mind began to churn.
Background on the Seven Summits of Big Bear:
Upon Jordon Romero's (youngest person to ever climb Everest) return from climbing Everest, he inspired the challenge in his home town of Big Bear for residents and visitors to climb the seven summits of Big Bear. These trails were organized and researched by Mountain Fitness Center and Big Bear Valley Trails Foundation. The website can be found by clicking here.

My challenge:
To run the Seven Summits of Big Bear in the shortest amount of time. Ideally, I would like to complete them in 24 hours, however, logistically it may not be able to be done since there would be a bit of drive time between some of the trail heads. Therefore, the goal is to set the speed record.

Summits        Elevation Gain      Miles        Peak       
Grays Peak           1170                   6.5          7920
Bertha Peak          1397                  7.0           8201
Gold Mt                1365                  8.5           8235
Delamar Mt           1538                  9.0          8398
Butler Peak           1435                  12.0         8535
Sugarloaf Mt          2552                  10.0         9952
San Gorgonio        4619                  24.0        11499
Totals                  14076                77.0     

When:
Since winter is not to far away, it will have to be within the next two months or summer of 2012. I am shooting for sooner than later.

I will update as plans begin to unfold/come together. 


No comments:

Post a Comment