Sunday, November 13, 2011

6 Days and Counting

My next race is the Chimera 100K located in the hills between Riverside and Orange County on November 19th. Touted as one of the toughest 100K's in the nation, you are either running uphill or downhill, no real flat spots in between. Much of the course is also run on technical single-track, so mental awareness is key especially later in the race when you are tired and sloppy.
My training up to this point has not been where I have wanted it to be, however, with a short 13 miler yesterday, the legs felt really strong and fresh. I am hoping that my endurance is there though. Last weekend I ran a 23 miler with nearly 4800 feet of elevation gain and felt good as well. That was my longest such run since September. There is not much more I can do training wise from this point until the race. As they say, "the hay is already in the barn." Now is the time to get mentally prepared and get plenty of rest.


Currently the course record is 14hours and 20minutes. This shows you how tough this course can be. The weather forecast right now shows rain on the day of the race. While I enjoy running in the rain and the cooler weather, this will add yet another difficult element with the mud.
I have been looking forward to this race for the good part of the year and am excited to see what this race will throw at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment