Monday, September 6, 2010

Weekly Recap 8/29 - 9/04

I started this week feeling good having just come off a 53 mile week last week. I had no real aches and pains that would cause any concern. The problem came the Friday night before my Saturday long run where I failed to hydrate and eat properly. I woke Saturday morning a little later than usual, lazed around a bit since the kids were away, and started at around 9am. In addition, the day was hot to start as well. I believe temperatures were around 100 by noon. I set out with plenty of water; using my new Nathan Hydration pack; and food. After about 4 miles of running, I stopped sweating and became very fatigued. Since I had chosen a very hilly course for this run, I thought it would be a great opportunity (excuse) to practice walking. The hills seemed relentless though and my muscles became sore. I continued to hydrate and ate some Gu Chomps, but nothing seemed to be helping. At a little over 6 miles, I decided to turn back. The run home was tough, and I finished nearly all of the 2 liters of water I was carrying and the remainder of the Gu Chomps. When I got in the front door, I sat on the stairs (now beginning to sweat a cold sweat), my vision went black and I lost all strength and slumped over. My wife quickly came with applesauce mixed with sugar and a bottle of Gatorade. Apparently my blood sugar was very low as well, because this helped quite a bit. Regaining some strength, I made it to the kitchen where I consumed more water, Gatorade, and Cytomax. Soon, I was feeling good enough for an ice bath which helped lower my body temperature and sooth my legs and joints. All in all it was an experience I did not want to have to go through again, but at the same time taught me a very valuable lesson on hydration and eating properly. It also gave my wife a glimpse of what it means to be a crew member and after that experience, I am confident she can handle anything quickly and effectively. She has a great gift of remaining calm in a crisis situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment